A tasty alternative for those who love kebabs but are vegetarian, Hara Bhara kebab gets its name and green colour from the healthy spinach in it. I have seen hara bhara kebab on the menu list of North Indian restaurants. A couple of times we have had these kebabs outside and they always gave me temptation to make by myself with few variations. so when I had got a lot of spinach for making Palak paneer, and they were still leftover, I decided to make this green kebab with green gravy. true to its name hara bhara kabab boosts of green health. So here’s one variation and my new recipe of HARA BHARA KEBAB Ingredients for kebabs ½ bunch fresh palak (spinach) 300 g paneer (cottage cheese) 1 cup green peas 1 cup green chana 2 cups of powdered bread crumbs 3-4 green chilies (medium spicy) 1 small piece ginger 1 tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder) ½ tsp garam masala 1tsp sugar 1/2 tsp fennel seeds 2 tbsp oil + oil for shallow fry Salt to taste For Garnish 15-20 split cashews How to make kebabs:( Procedure)
- Heat water in a large bowl. Add salt. Now add cleaned palak to the water. Blanch it for 5-10 minutes, uncovered. Strain all the excess water and keep the palak aside.
- Crush the peas, ginger, fennel seeds and green chilies in a mixer to make coarse paste. Heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan and sauté the paste on low to medium flame, stirring continuously for 10-15 minutes. Add sugar. Remove from heat. Now add amchur powder, garam masala and salt and mix well.
- Process blanched palak in a mixer to make a paste. Do not add any water when doing this.
- Crumble paneer with hands.
- Add crumbled paneer and one cup powdered bread crumbs to cooled green pea mixture and then slowly add palak paste to it, taking care that the mixture doesn’t become watery. It needs to be thick enough to be able to make balls with.
- Make medium sized flattened rounds from the final mixture. You can take help of some oil or corn-flour if the mixture is sticking to your hands. Add a bit of corn-flour if the mixture is not thick enough. Roll the kebabs in remaining powder of bread crumbs.
- In the mean while sauté the cashews in the same pan using the remaining ½ tsp oil till they are slightly brown. Garnish the hara bhara kebabs with the cashews.
Ingredients to make Green Gravy: 2 to 3 boiled onion 3 to 4 green chillies 1 tea spoon ginger paste 1 tea spoon garlic paste 1/2 cup Magajtari (Water melon seeds) and cashew nuts paste 1/2 cup chopped spinach 1 cup grated paneer 1/4 cup curd 2 table spoon poppy seeds (khas khas) 2 to 3 cardamom, 2 to 3 cloves, 2 inch cinnamon stick, 2 to 3 pepper, 2 to 3 bayleaves, 1 star anise 1/4 cup milk 1 table spoon oil 1 table spoon butter Salt to taste 1 tea spoon garam masala 1 tea spoon sugar 1 tea spoon coriander powder 1 tea spoon cumin powder Method to make Green Gravy:
- Soak poppy seeds in warm milk for 30 minutes.
- In a mixture jar take boiled onion and crush till smooth paste keep aside.
- Take green chillies, ginger, garlic, coriander, spinach, curd and poppy seeds mixture. Crush them to smooth paste.
- In a pan heat 1 table spoon oil and 1 table spoon butter.
- Add Jeera, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, pepper, bay leaf, star anise
6. Then add paste of boiled onion until it leaves extra oil and butter by stirring it in between. 7. Now add above green gravy to it and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add spices to it. 8. After that add grated paneer stir well and Gravy is ready. 9. Serve with a dressing and garnishing of your choice, cream or veggies whatever charm you wanna create in your style. The dish is ready to serve. I served it with lacchedar Paratha but I also found it tasty with Jeera rice. Enjoy this mouth watering dish with your family and friends…….:)