When I was an amateur baker, I tried so many times to bake simple cookies that could taste like Puneri Shrewsbury cookies but always failed. Sometimes I over baked or sometimes even after adding all the ingredients exactly as mentioned on many foody sites still would taste a bit bitter at the end etc etc. I almost thought baking is not my cup of tea but then yesterday suddenly I thought let me try once on my own without any guide or recipe from sites and see how it works so I tried one simple method to bake cookies and I dont believe it was not only good in taste but its crisp also came out perfect. And to add it up taste almost 98.99% like Shrewsbury biscuits of Kayani bakery, Pune.
So here’s the simple recipe for all of you to try and fill up your kids tiffin and for you to relish with tea or coffee. 🙂
1. All purpose flour/ Maida – 125 gms
2. Powdered sugar – 50 gms
3. butter – 100 gms
4. Salt – 1/4 tsp
5. few saffron strands.
Stepwise Method of how did this become successful project
1. Bring butter to room temperature to soften it. Do not melt. beat with a whisk until fluffy (3 minutes). I used my hand blender with whisk attachment but you can use you hands. Make sure you beat well. Add powdered sugar, Saffron strands and again beat fluffy.
2. Mix flour and salt well and add it to the beaten butter sugar mixture. Make dough. If your dough is too sticky and doesn’t hold a shape, add 1 or 2 more table spoon of flour until you are able to form a soft non-sticky dough.
3. Using your favorite shape of cookie cutter, cut out the cookies. Take out the other parts of the dough leaving the cut cookie in its place without disturbing its shape. Re-roll the scraps again and cut out cookies. Use a spatula to take out the cookies.
5. Preheat oven for 160 deg C. Bake for 15- 18 minutes until the sides of the cookies just start to change colour. Cool over wire rack completely before baking. After the sides start changing its colour, the centre part may still be soft, which you need not worry, it will get firm after it gets cooled down completely. I allowed it to cool for an hour, but i tell you wait was very fruitful. Very relishing cookies.